- Bruins Enter December As Best in EastPosted 2 days ago
- UMass Cracks Top 25Posted 1 week ago
- Bruins Showing Flair for the DramaticPosted 1 week ago
- Rask Keeps Up Stellar Play For BruinsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Four Takeaways From Bruins’ Win Over LightningPosted 3 weeks ago
- Bruins Prepare For Seguin’s Return to BostonPosted 4 weeks ago
- Red Sox Lose Game 3 on Obstruction CallPosted 1 month ago
- Red Sox Fall Apart Late in Game 2Posted 1 month ago
- Red Sox Roll in Game 1 of World SeriesPosted 1 month ago
- World Series Preview: Red Sox vs. CardinalsPosted 1 month ago
Bruins reportedly sign Jay Pandolfo
- Updated: February 12, 2013
BOSTON — According to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE, the Boston Bruins have signed 38-year-old veteran forward Jay Pandolfo to a one-year deal worth $600,000. Pandolfo has been regularly skating with, and practicing with the Bruins for about a month now. Pandolfo has had a professional tryout agreement with the team since training camp commenced.
Pandolfo traveled with the team to Buffalo last weekend, his first trip this season, and it appears now that a deal is in place to keep him around for the rest of the season, likely in light of trading Tim Thomas to the New York Islanders last week. Moving Thomas freed up an additional $8 million in salary cap for the team, as well as opened a contract up, offering them flexibility to make necessary moves throughout the season, if need be. The team now stands at 49 players with Pandolfo’s contract, and the Bruins have a ceiling of 50 individual player contracts.
Pandolfo was placed on waivers Tuesday, as the Bruins will likely option him to AHL Providence to play, provided he clears waivers.
“This has been the perfect situation for me. I’m at home with my family and able to stay in shape while skating with the team,” said Pandolfo, a native of Burlington, who now lives in Winchester with his family. “I wouldn’t have done this if it were any other situation besides the one in Boston. The organization has been very up front with me about everything, and hopefully that leads to good things soon.”
Pandolfo played was with the New Jersey Devils from 1997 -2004, spent the 2004-05 NHL Lockout with EC Red Bull Salzburg, and then resumed play with the Devils from 2005-10. Pandolfo had a one year stint from 2011-2012 with the AHL Springfield Falcons before playing last season with the New York Islanders, where he had three points in 62 games.